To run point on someting is to take charge of it
Running Point and its chief investment officer, Michael Ashley Schulman, CFA, were interviewed by Laurel Mintz, Founder and CEO of Elevate My Brand and General Partner of Fabric VC (a women-led, diversity-driven venture capital fund). Laurel’s podcast — “Elevate Your Brand” — is in its 4th year with over 200 episodes.
The podcast (Season 4, Episode 3) is live on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Audible, Amazon, and other favorite podcast apps like Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Castbox, and Overcast. Like most conversational podcasts, it sounds better at a 1.5x playback speed—just sayin’😉
Our conversation touched on a number of topics including what you want from a multifamily office🤗, what you can expect from investments and venture capital in 2023🔭, why you want a financial plan roadmap🛣, quotes from Muhammed Ali🥊, and favorite vices🍪[see below].
We like cookies, but we don’t like cookie cutter solutions!
Running Point is not everything for everyone. We are the right amount of multifamily office services for those that want a tailored family office approach.
- You want effective financial planning for you, your family, or legacy
- You care about smart investment advice and handholding for you, your business, or your next generation
- You want tax planning and consulting now and in the future
- You need custom tax and estate planning
- You desire integrated insurance planning
- You want access to or explanations of private equity, private credit, venture-capital, impact investments, female led, venture capital, secondary investment
- You’d like someone to evaluate the random private investments you are shown by your friends and network that ask you for money
- You seek accounting services, bill pay, and business management
- You want advice on incorporating your new business or prepping your business for an eventual sale
- You want the complex stuff explained easily for you or your spouse
- You’d like some of the above or all the above, a la carte or full suite
- And you like cookies, but don’t want a generic or cookie cutter solution
We are a multifamily investment office that does all the above, stand-alone or integrated, and we do it quite well too.
A mountain versus a pebble
Muhammad Ali said, “It isn’t the mountains ahead that wear you down. It’s the pebble in your shoe.”
You should focus on your large priorities and goals in life, but its everyday challenges that affect people most. We try to alleviate your short-term and long-term obstacle so that you can emphasize what matters—your business, your children, your parents, your charities, your legacy.
What’s next for the future of Running Point?
Our future is all about measured growth! We seek to grow our capabilities ahead of our needs rather than vice-versa. Much of our growth has been through word-of-mouth recommendations from clients and peers which is the greatest compliment and measure of confidence.
Let’s get personal!
What is your favorite word? Inconceivable. I enjoyed (in both novel and movie form) “The Princess Bride” and the irony that comes with this word, inconceivable. It also reminds me of Muhammad Ali’s quote regarding “Impossible”
“Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”
What is your go to vice of choice? Vegan chocolate chip cookies and vegan chocolate cake. Just because they are vegan does not mean they are healthy😆
Favorite cocktail? Coffee with cayenne pepper🌶, either iced or hot.
Disclosure: The opinions expressed are those of Running Point Capital Advisors, LLC (Running Point) and are subject to change without notice. The opinions referenced are as of the date of publication, may be modified due to changes in the market or economic conditions, and may not necessarily come to pass. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Forward-looking statements cannot be guaranteed. Running Point is an investment adviser registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. More information about Running Point’s investment advisory services and fees can be found in its Form ADV Part 2, which is available upon request. RP-23-04